Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Winding Amalfi Coast...

Today it will be me posting both pictures and a summary. And there is a reason for that. I will get to that shortly. First a bit of history and/or background. The Amalfi coast which includes the town of Amalfi runs down the length of Italy starting roughly at the Island of Capri. The coast of Italy in this area is rather steep. I mean like sheer cliffs that drop off for 100s of feet. That apparently didn't stop anyone from building homes there.

You literally see homes and hotels on the sides of cliffs. In some places the parking spot is a platform built out from the cliff with stairs heading down to the dwelling.  Crazy. I know.  Inevitably, there are always valleys and these are where peopled settled first I assumed. Amalfi, Miori, Cetara, Positano, etc. Are the names of these towns which make up the Amalfi coast. So for a long time I presume only boats connected these towns to each other and the rest of the world. 

At some point a person, crazy or a genius, proposed a road. And it was actually built. Which brings me now to the present. The modern road I think is well NUTS. And from what I saw that is probably and improved road with tunnels.  Regardless this.road is close to sheer terror as I want to get. If the road was let's say limited to Smart Cars and Vespas it would be awesome and calming with.amazing vistas.  But it isn't. It's open to anything. And I mean it. I think we even saw yesterday's boat on a truck! I got the picture to prove it! 

But I'm missing a key point to this story. What are we on? A Vespa? No. A Smart Car? I wish. We are in a freakin long assent tour bus. Not a "tour bus" because no one is talking to us. It's the transportation organization that runs these monstrosities!  That of course might lead you to to think that its slow. Yeah only when its going uphill and its not that slow. Interestingly, this road is pretty leveled except when coming to those valleys I mentioned.

Ok so I have kept you from our story. Needless to say Stephanie was pretty much car sick 1/3 of the way to Amalfi.  The breaking, the swerving, the overly perfumed person, conspired to take her down. But that's actually how we enjoyed a few hours in Minori. After she felt better we even went "hiking" to check out a church. By the way...Italy is all about the churches and their crypts.

She womaned up and so we hopped on another bus and made our way to Amalfi. Just in time to. We walked and bought some Granata de limon. Basically lemon with ice. Good stuff except the brain freeze. We then checked out the Duamo de Amalfi. It's pretty happening. A Japanese couple was walking up the steps and the groom flashed me the peace symbol. Its like he understand what he was getting into. Pure bliss. We saw a farmacia so we went in and they hooked up my baby with motion sickness pills!

We went against everyone's advise and sat down to eat at a ristorante. But it was out of necessity really. Had surprisingly good food for not surprisingly an expense amount of money. But hey its Amalfi.

Stephanie was feeling the effects of the motion sickness pills so we hopped on the bus to Salerno and while she slept, I kept taking pictures to keep myself from freakin out. We made it to Salerno safely and to our total surprise a parade.

Fiesta de San Mateo was just getting under way.  But with no gas in the tank we headed home. I showered and went down and got a few pictures of the floats and a bishop, I think. And even either the mayor of Salerno or the Governor of Campaña.

Well that's pretty much how it went down today.

Rather memorable day. Tons of pictures but then again that's how I roll.

Buona sera

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about the motion sickness Steph - but glad you guys are safe! Canyou bring some Granata de limon in an ice chest home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You're posts are so much fun to read, you guys...Steph...So sorry for your motion sickness - Don't feel bad, I get motion sickness just driving into Topenga Canyon!!! lol...Sounds like a great adventure :) I am addicted to your blog now...More, more, more!!!

    ReplyDelete