Sunday, October 2, 2011

Verona

After leaving Pisa we headed to Verona, the home of Romeo and Juliet.  There is no hard proof that they existed but there is Juliet's home and the balcony and a her grave as well a bronze statue of Juliet.  If you rub her right boob it will bring you luck in love even though we know she didn't have any. In the courtyard of the supposed balcony, you can also write a letter to Juliet, but they took the wall of notes down and I was disappointed that I couldn't leave a note there. 

After paying homage to the Juliet's statue we headed to a pharmacy where I picked up some cold and flu medicine.  I couldn't have done it without my Rick Steve's Phrase Book.  Then we headed to the Pietra Bridge for a great view of the Adige River and large museum on a hillside.   Then we walked back towards a huge medieval castle that even had a moat around it.  It was cool looking.  The entire group then met up in front of a giant arena called the L'anfiteatro Arena that predates the Colosseum making it over 2000 years old. 

Finally we headed to a group dinner where I had my first ever gnocchi experience,  I wasn't too impressed unfortunately.   But all the group dinners were fun more for the people than for the food.  The town is very beautiful, it had that very quaint feeling but the people were trendy looking.  I guess it was a great combination of of old and new.  This was Sergio's favorite Italian town.

Ciao!

1 comment: